Dear Account Manager,
I write this hoping to filter out people about to:
- Pay us to write them a script based on their specifications
- Then are surprised when it doesn’t magically improve performance
Yup. That’s happened. A few times.
Here’s the main takeaway: If you can’t manually improve an account’s performance, it’s very unlikely to improve thanks to automation.
Implementing a script to do something you’re not already doing (for good reason) is always a gamble. It’s putting the cart before the horse. It’s treating the patient before diagnosing the issue – a common mistake with CRO too, incidentally.
That’s true of Bid Strategies, Tools and Scripts.
You’d do much better thinking of automation purely as a time-saving device then anything more is a bonus. And think about it, how amazing is that? Something which took you 2 hours every week could take…no time at all.
Also, honestly, you often don’t need to pay for anything. Let’s review the options:
- Nothing – Google Ads is already pretty automatic if you think about it. Accounts don’t suddenly capsize when we’re away for the weekend
- Bulk Uploads – Especially quick if you have some templates setup
- AdWords Editor – Worth using just to avoid the slow online experience
- Automated Rules
- Bid Strategies – We’ve seen mixed results, but they can work well
- Free Scripts – there are hundreds online. We’ve posted a few, too.
Economies of Scale
That’s another thing, you probably only want to look at paying for automation if you:
- Have a large account, and/or
- Have multiple accounts
There are a couple of exceptions:
- Things change often, like if you sell used cars
- You have on a solution which is particularly complex, like looking at 9 date ranges
It’s all about time saved and the value of that time but either way, walk before you run.
I always read and usually respond to comments, so please do provide your feedback and thoughts if you have any.